This popular dish has its origins in Russia. Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stroganov is a dish of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream. From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, it has become popular around the world, with considerable variation from the original recipe.Folk law has is that a French chef who worked for a wealthy St. Petersburg family created the dish for a cooking contest in 1891. Following the Russian custom of the day, he named the prize-winning dish for his employer, Count Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov.
- 600 g beef cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 430 g can SA Gourmet Food Co Tomato Condensed Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- fettuccini pasta to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat meat in flour.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat, add oil and brown meat.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft and golden.
- Add sour cream, SA Gourmet Food Co Tomato Condensed Soup and worstershire sauce to the pan, stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over cooked fettuccini.