These stuffed capsicums are more than just a delicious family meal. The capsicum, which is also known as bell pepper, originated in tropical America. It is low in fat and has many health benefits. It's one of the best sources of carotenoids like beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- 6 Capsicums deseeded and halved
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 onion finely diced
- 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 185 g uncooked white rice
- 125 ml water
- 85 g grated tasty cheese
- 500 g can SA Gourmet Food Co Tomato Condensed Soup
- water as needed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add onion and cook, stirring until onion is soft and fragrant. Add chicken mince and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, rice and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile add oil to a baking dish, fill capsicums with mince mixture and place in baking dish.
- Top stuffed capsicums with grated cheese.
- In a medium bowl mix SA Gourmet Food Co Tomato Condensed Soup with just enough water to thin it out and make it pourable.
- Pour tomato soup and water mixture over the capsicums.
- Bake capsicums for 45 minutes, uncovered until rice is soft and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.